Serving All of NJ & PA

All Traffic & Criminal Matters

New Jersey Surcharge Information


Surcharges are fines assessed by New Jersey Surcharge Violation System (NJSVS). Your New Jersey driving record is reviewed every time points or other serious violations are added to your driving record. Drivers who have excessive points for traffic violations or have been convicted in court for specific offenses such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) are liable for Surcharge. Surcharges are in addition to any court fines and/or penalties and are billed yearly for three years.

Too Many Points:

If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 Surcharge plus $25 for each additional point. A points based Surcharge can result in a Surcharge for three years.

Additional Violations that will Result in a Surcharge Due for Three Years:

  • $100 for unlicensed driver or driver with expired license ($300 total)
  • $250 for driving with a suspended license ($750 total)
  • $100 for failure to insure a moped  ($300 total)
  • $250 for operating an uninsured vehicle  ($750 total)
  • $1,000 for first and second driving while intoxicated (DWI)  ($3,000 total)
  • $1,500 third DWI  (if it occurs within three years last offense) ($4,500 total)
  • $1,000 for refusing to take test to measure blood alcohol concentration  ($3,000 total)

Failure to Pay Surcharges:

Drivers failing to pay surcharges are sent a notice indicating when their license will be suspended and another notice confirming suspension for non-payment. Moving out of state or failing to maintain a current address with the MVC does not excuse surcharge debts.  After suspension, surcharges and a $100 restoration fee must be paid to restore the license privilege.  If the surcharge remains unpaid a Certificate of Debt is filed in Superior Court.   The court issues a judgment, which allows the state to collect unpaid surcharges through involuntary means.  The judgment amount (surcharge debt) must be paid before personal property can be transferred or sold.  Judgments include a collection cost and interest charges calculated on the judgment balance.  Unpaid judgments are assigned to collection agencies and law firms.  Credit bureaus are made aware of unpaid accounts.

How to Pay your Surcharges:

There are several ways of paying your Surcharge:

  • Pay with debit/credit card or e-check via the internet:   Go to
  • Pay with debit/credit card via telephone: Call toll free at 888-651-9999
  • Pay with cash: Visit a Western Union location in New Jersey and nation wide
  • Send a check or money order payable to:

P.O. Box 4850
Trenton, NJ 08650-4850


I had a serious speeding ticket and the Shugar Law Offices help me negotiate a lesser plea. Everything was explained up front and everything was executed as described. The lawyer who represented me was very professional and knowledgeable. I could not have hoped for a better outcome. Thank you!
Professional Help With Speeding Ticket
© Copyright - Shugar Law Offices (NJ, PA, NY Traffic and Criminal Lawyers)
Phone: 1-888-9-NOT-GUILTY
Fax: 609-702-0833
69 High Street
Mount Holly, NJ 08060
411 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601
581 Main Street
Woodbridge, NJ 07601
44400 Route 9 South
Freehold, NJ 07728
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901 - Enfold WordPress Theme by Kriesi